Our Nurture classroom
As a school we are proud that we have a Nurture class at the heart of our school. Set up to provide support for children who for a variety of reasons were finding school and/or home life difficult it has a profound impact on those attending. Run by an experienced and Nurture Group trained teacher ‘Cherry Class’ follows the Nurture group ethos :
The Six Principles Of Nurture
- Children's learning is understood developmentally
- The classroom offers a safe base
- The importance of nurture for the development of well-being
- Language is a vital means of communication
- All behaviour is communication
- The importance of transition in children's lives
Nurture groups assess learning and social and emotional needs and give the necessary help to remove the barriers to learning.
Children attend Cherry class in the morning and remain an active part of their main class group, returning in the afternoon with adult support. They typically return full time to their own class within two to four terms.
‘ *** loves Cherry class and this is his other safe place. I dread to think where he would be without it’ - Cherry class parent